Thursday, April 10, 2014

Eye Opener

A week and a half ago I posted my blog post I've Been Suicidal Most of My Life. I posted it about 8:30pm, posted it on Facebook and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning I opened my Blogger Dashboard (It gives my statistics about page views). My usual page-views for my other blogs was around 30 -50 total. When I checked it that morning it was over 1000. Today it's almost to 2,000. A little different you think?

I went on my Facebook and had A LOT of messages, private and public. Most were their stories. Many were "I've never told anyone this but I've been depressed for a long time" and "You put into words what I feel" and so on and so forth. The news and local newspaper got a hold of me. Random people would come up to me and family members in tears. Overall, the reaction to my blog was enlightening and emotional. Today I have copied and pasted all comments, large and small, into a personal file. 21 pages worth.

It was an eye opener. People are suffering, a lot of people. I can see just in my circle of friends how badly people needed someone to relate to. How many others need to hear this as well? I feel so small in such a big world. A world where there are so many just like me and I never knew. Do they know that they are not alone? I wish I had a way to tell them, to give them a hug and a warm smile. To tell them everything will be alright.


2 comments:

  1. I've always been too afraid to be so open about personal struggles on my own blog but you have made me wonder if that's a mistake. Not because I was 2,000 page views (holy cow dayna!) but because what if it could help someone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would have ever shared my story the way I did until I received a pretty big prompting to do so. I actually got the impression to share my depression story months before I wrote it...but I was just scared. It was the whole reason I started my blog. But I was too nervous to write about so I wrote about other stuff first.

      Delete